Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Some food and thoughts

I received a request from a miss Hanah Ho for some pictures of what I've been eating so far. So now I will share with you the wonderful cooking of my señora :) By the way, she laughs at me every time we eat because I always have to run back to my room for my SLR...

Delicious concoction of chick peas, peppers, and chicken

Similar to Sweedish meatballs?

Typical Spanish tortilla served with green peppers :) Pure goodness made only of potatoes, onions, eggs, and olive oil. Its magical...

Left over ice cream cake from her granddaughter's fourth birthday. Dulce de leche (milk caramel) is becoming a favorite flavor.

The infamous chocolate croissant-ish goodness. I tell myself I will only buy it if I have the change. And somehow I always find the magical Euro coin at the bottom of my purse.

You got the food. Now onto the thoughts. I've realized there's an interesting element of Study Abroad that I every student encounters, whether on purpose or not. The element? Reinvention.

I will happily admit I have reinvented myself in some aspects this semester...

- I have made it a goal to be more free-spirited this semester. I haven't suddenly grown my hair out to my toes or anything, but I allow myself more freedom within my days. I've actually even tried to get lost. Unfortunately, I studied my map too much at the beginning of the semester and normally know where I am anyway. But I don't make the effort to control social engagements, plan out when and how I am going to achieve everything this semester, or set alarms (except of course, for my 9 AM classes). And so far, I haven't needed to. Everyday has presented unique and wonderful opportunities.

- I have switched (or at least tried to switch) my walking pace to that of the Spaniards. Its more a stroll than a walk.

- I try to dress as chic as those españolas. However, I just can't break out those 4 inch heels for my 35 minute cobblestone stroll to school. My father's a podiatrist. Ain't happening. But I did buy a pair of brown leather boots today! Now I can wear my boots with tights and dresses and feel guay (cool).

- I have worked on developing my Andalucian accent. Spanish grammar is (for the most part) natural now and I've taken to just introducing myself as Ahm-bar since the Spaniards can't pronounce Amber. People have even started asking where I'm from instead of just asking what state I'm from! Win :)

Whoaaa check out those life changes, right? Not. But I have been presented numerous opportunities to more drastically reinvent myself. I could have been anyone I wanted here. I could go out and drink until I can't stand up. Meet a different guy each night. Skim novels to avoid doing any homework at all. However, when the opportunity presented itself, I didn't take it. It just wasn't me. It wasn't what I wanted to do.

The big push of studying abroad is to emerge yourself in the culture. Make friends with the locals, adapt their customs, step outside your comfort zone. But where is the line between experiencing the culture and changing your approach to life?

In Spain, it is not culturally common to hang out in somebody's house or apartment. Excluding family events, social interactions take place in bars, restaurants (most of which are at bars) or cafés (which often double as bars). Thus, needless to say, most of my social interactions this semester have taken place in some form of a bar. Not normally my scene, but its honestly everyone's scene here. And I can embrace this. They serve Coca-Cola and awesome tapas at bars. But I just can't bring myself to hang out in these bars until all hours of the night, every night, despite the encouragements of my professors and my señora.

I think the core of what bothers me is that I haven't met many españoles that I really want to be friends with. Nadia and her friends were welcoming and nice, but are not exactly a group of people I would hang out with in the states. My intercambio speaks Spanish and English, but that's pretty much where our common interests finish. But time is of the essence for this short semester and I am encouraged to seize every opportunity presented to me to hang out with the locals. No matter who they might be?

I'm not sure if all the thoughts that are swarming around in my head are coming out quite right but let me sum it up: When given the opportunity to completely reinvent myself, I chose to stay the same. For the most part, I am proud of the person I am, the decisions I've made, and the manner in which I live my life. I choose to turn down chances to partake in certain activities. I was discussing this struggle with my señora and I felt a wave of relief crash over me when she told me, "No hagas compromisos." (Don't make compromises.) Finally, someone who had been encouraging me to enjoy all of the study abroad elements mentioned that there was a limit.

I'm just not the girl that so many American girls come here to become. And if I have to sacrifice certain "experiences" of studying abroad to remain that way, so be it. I'm having a great semester anyway.

14
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
Ephesians 6:14-15


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amber! this food looks delicious! I can't wait for you cook some of this for us when you get home ;)

The Rogersuz said...

My dear sis-in-law, I pray daily that my daughter will grow up to be just like her aunt(s). Willing to take chances, willing to get out of comfort zones, willing to be free, yet still remembering who they are in Christ! I love you! Thank you for sharing your heart! (and yes I was wiping tears from my eyes by the end)

Josh said...

One thing I have come to realized over the past 21 years of my life is that I have an amazing sister. The other thing that I have realized is that I probably do not do a good job of telling you that very often. After reading this post I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you! The maturity and faith you are demonstrating is humbling to me! Reading your post I couldn't help think about Hebrews 11. "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
I can't wait to see you at Christmas and hear first hand of all the awesome journey's you had and maybe because I am expecting you to make me some of that delicious looking food.

TheCrackedPotter said...

Amber, tell your host mom that your aunt would be photographing her cooking also. I'm salivating. Oh, just in case you were wondering, there's nothing wrong with growing your hair out to you toes. :-)

Unknown said...

You make me SO PROUD of the person and woman you have become!!!! Thinking and praying for you!!!Love you!!!

NextDoorMissionary said...

YESSSS busting out the tights!
if the boots are tall enough, you can add color and it looks legit. :)

in other news, I'm proud of you.
and did you know pub is short for public place, aka where people meet instead of living rooms in England?

jump on that coca cola train, girl.
can't wait to see you when we both get back.

xx