Monday, October 4, 2010

Wisconson Fist Pump in Portugal

This weekend we ventured out from the Plaza de Armas bus station once again.
Destination: Lagos, Portugal.

The trip started out with a bit of a problem when Grace realized, right before we were about to pull out of the station, that she didn't have her passport. With no time to get it before leaving she ended up getting off the bus and promised to call if she decided to still come on the later bus.

Molly and I endured the 5 and a half hour bus ride, only to get lost in Lagos for an hour once we got there because GoogleMaps screwed up the location of the hostel on my map. But when we found the hostel we were greeted with the nicest owner ever who sat us down with a map and explained pretty much everything to do, eat, and see in Lagos. Very enthusiastic too... "And wouldn't you believe they will cook your eggs anyway you want them!" "You might not want to put your towel don't right away because you'd be surprised there are FIVE more beaches, quite beautiful yes, the kind you see on postcards..."

After our long journey Molly and I didn't feel like running off to the beaches so we went and had a typical Portuguese dinner, walked along the cliffs, and did some shopping. So far, so normal.

The water is definitely the bluest I've ever seen in my life.

Pirate caves. Not really but that's what Molly is telling her brother.

Molly and I at the top of one of the cliffs

Right as we are discussing plans for the night, I get a phone call from Grace saying she's on the bus and will be in the city in an hour and a half. But when we go pick her up at the bus station, there's a twist. Of course. She has two 24 year old backpackers from England with her who say they want to come to our hostel to stay there too. BANDERAS ROJAS. RED FLAGS. Grace is super friendly (sometimes too friendly). But Molly and I are thinking, "Why would want to show these guys we don't know our hostel?" But after some consideration (in Spanish which they didn't understand) we decided it was still early enough that it wasn't a big deal to show them where our hostel was.

Once we got there and were deciding where to go to eat, Grace suddenly started talking about how she had to go talk to the guys to see if they had her book. She seemed distressed so Molly and I just lounged around waiting for her to get her "book" and get ready to go. As we were walking out though I asked her if she got it back and she said no. Long story short: Grace left her passport on the bus and didn't want to tell us so she had these guys go back and convince (who knows how because they know no Portuguese or Spanish) the janitors into letting them back on the bus to search for her passport. With this feat in their record, we decided the boys could eat dinner with us. They passed test number two when, after dinner, Matt suggested going out for a cup of tea. I laughed outloud at his suggestion, which he though was because I didn't like tea or though it was a dumb suggestion. No way José. I just have never had a guy ask me if I wanted to go for a cup of tea. Good guys.

The next day, Molly, Grace and I went out for pancakes! YESSS. Honestly the only food I missed from home. Not quite sure why but I was super excited to be able to eat some good old pancakes for breakfast. Dearest Hope friends, I refrained from destroying them on the plate - you'd be proud. Then we went over the beach and lounged until it was time for Molly and I to go meet our kayak group for the afternoon.

Right before we were about to leave, Grace and the guys and the guys showed up and decided to come too. So we all paired up and embarked on our kayaking adventure in the ocean and along the beaches. The trip was about 3 hours, including a half hour pit stop to go snorkeling in the Ocean. I had never snorkeled before so of course I had to take part... but by the time I got out my hands were blue. Although it is possible to go swimming in the Atlantic Ocean in October, its probably not the best idea.

In the 3 hours, we kayaked through some of the tiny openings in the rocks and into some sweet grottos . Molly and I had some mad skills. We didn't get stuck a foot out of water on some rocks like some people we know (cough cough Luke and Grace cough). Overall it was a great afternoon and Molly and I (the only all-girl kayak) held our own along side all the athletic couples and guys. I don't have any pictures of us kayaking on my camera because I was not about to bring out my SLR in the middle of the waves and rocks. Sooo you'll just have to imagine some good looking girls in a bright yellow kayak with super cheesey smiles. Queso!

Saturday night was super fun, we went out with Matt, Luke, and two other girls from Australia who Matt had gone to high school with and happened to be staying in the same hostel. El mundo es como un pañuelo. (The world is like a handkerchief. Aka: Its a small world). We went out for drinks and went dancing and were very thankful to have the guapos there to protect us from other leering Portuguese men or American boys. Our group was a good mix of serious and silly; we had a lot of fun but were able to hold legitimate conversations as well. Molly taught Matt the Wisconson fist pump, which by the end of the night had become the dance move of choice since it could be adapted to fit basically any song. The two-person shower adaptation will possibly be returning to the states with us. I attempted to explain the Pull and Nykerk to everyone and realized mid-description how strange Hope's traditions truly are. Good thing I love them anyway :) Matt and Luke were true gentleman the entire time, something I have not encountered in Spain or the States in a long time. Honestly, when is the last time a guy offered to make you tea when everyone is lounging around on the sofas? Let me check... never.

Which brings me to one of my first discoveries of homesickness. Although Molly and I were appropriately wary of the boys, we were able to catch their social cues, understand their humor, and have an in-depth conversation with them. We were able to build relationships over a short period of time that made us feel comfortable spending with them. In Spain, we are forced to be even more wary. We can't always catch their side comments to friends, we don't understand their concept of women, and we don't understand their social norms to trust they are what they seem. Its sad, isn't it? The fact that we live in a world where we can't take someone's word, we can't enjoy the prospect of meeting new people in strange situations. We took a chance on Luke and Matt, one that paid off and ended up being a great weekend. But I miss the opportunity to take those chances in Spain because of the fall of mankind we read about on a daily basis. I guess I just have to continue enjoying the opportunities CIEE provides for us and hope that we will meet gentleman of the same caliber in Spain.

But Portugal... major success :)

4 comments:

Mrs. Rogers said...

OH Amber . . . how fun! I am so happy you are wary and trusting enough to enjoy yourself! You go girl!

The Rogersuz said...

So glad you had fun in Portugal and that you are being safe:) Also very glad I made an appearance in Portugal as well. It was gorgeous. Love you!

Grace Robia said...

Eh hem, I'd like to leave a word or two in consideration of what I have just read. I am brunette, thank you very much. While organization is clearly not my forte, I'm not completely useless. Can you drive a skitsteer? Can you name all the countries of Africa?

Rant concluded. I feel better now.

NextDoorMissionary said...

pirate caves: sweet.
BANDERAS ROJAS: bahahahahaha LOVE YOU.
were your pancakes blueberry? were they Bobbly Flay worthy?

ps love you. :)